Friday, March 29, 2013

Bottle Rockets


This week in robotics we started working on our soda bottle rockets and well let’s just say it is going very slowly. The soda bottle launcher proved to be a bit difficult to build since we didn't let the glue dry on the PVC pipes making not hold any kind of pressure. It held a bit of pressure enough to blast the rocket but it didn't get very high. We also tried various sizes of bottles to see which one would travel the most distance leaving us with a poor demonstration. That good thing though is that we now know what not to do which will help up in the future. Everyone else should watch out because Josh and I our working on a special rocket that should theoretically blow everyone away but I can't give out any more information because it is top secret.

Calibrating the probe that I'm using wasn't as difficult as I thought well when you find the manual it isn't as difficult. Now that it is calibrated I will be able to start collecting data to help my experiment which I have been working on for almost a year.
Estrella mountain student conference is upon us, at least the deadline for the abstract just passed. I submitted my abstract on time and I will do an oral presentation. I signed up for both an oral and a poster presentation. Matt suggested that I should do the oral presentation because he thinks I will be able to get first place based upon the presentations that we viewed during last year’s conference. I am a bit scared and at the same time a bit motivated to do the presentation. The reason for why I'm scared is because presenting to a large group of people is somewhat stressful and also trying not to finish the presentation with "so umm yeah" which a lot of people tend to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment