Monday, April 29, 2013

Testing our rockets

Well it doesn't look like much but this puppy can fly, not very high but enough to make an impression. The first launch went pretty well and surprisingly as it was coming down it flew like an airplane and it was awesome. To make it go to a higher altitude I had to add weight to the nose cone and I did that by tapping washers to the cone. I had to make so that the washers sat on the outside because there was no way I would be able to put them inside. I made 2 rockets and both flew but the second was pretty crappy it was too heavy coming down like a lawn dart.
One of the challenges we had to face was in regard to the launcher it was not well designed so it wouldn't hold more than 20 psi before the rocket taking off. I had to come up with a new design that is able to hold pressure up to 80-100 psi so that we are able to achieve a greater distance.
When it comes to filling the bottle I found that it is best to fill a maximum of 1/3 of the bottle to enable it to reach a maximum height. also being able to fly straight is a result from building fins to stabilize it while it is in flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment