Friday, December 14, 2012

Pea plant experiment

Currently I'm on my 9th set of pea plants working with different temperatures to determine the optimum conditions for them to germinate.
Light cycle
24hr Dark
6hr light
12hr light
18hr light
24hr light
temperature
20°C
30/30
29/30
28/30
29/30
25°C
30/30
29/30
30°C
4/30
35°C

These are the results I have so far. The peas are set for a 7 day period and after that if one didn't germinate there is a 90% chance that it won’t germinate at a later period. The current set that I'm running right now is set at an 18 hour light cycle out of 24 hours at a temperature of 20°C. The most recent one that was just completed was the one with a 12 hour light cycle and 20°C. Below is a picture of the most recent set and this particular set was left for about 2 weeks in the incubator because I was preoccupied and wasn't able to attend to them so they had some significant growth.

Now that the year was coming to end I have to finish writing my abstract for my project so that I can present it at ASU for one of the conferences they're having which is in March but the deadline for it is on January 11th. Writing the abstract is a difficult thing well at least for me it is. I'm not able to start it as easily as the last one I wrote. It is proving to be difficult, while I know what I should write I'm having trouble with starting it. Next year I think I'm going to be attending 2 conferences, one at ASU and the other at Estrella mountain college, so that means I have to do 2 abstracts and 2 separate posters to present at each individual conference. I feel confident in presenting since I have already done it twice this year but now it's a more advanced project.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work with the peas, thank you so much, this is going to help a lot with my Bio 108 students. About writing abstracts...many scientists have trouble with them. Most of my scientists friends write them after they write the whole paper, just cause it's easier to summarize something you've already written.

    ReplyDelete