Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Difficult Part

So now comes the hard part after 2 weeks it's time to get samples from my test tubes and try to identify the different species of algae. Based on observation alone it seems that the treatments with Sodium Phosphate added to it has the most growth and the weird thing is that tube #1 has the most growth which is expected but tube #2,3 had growth around the same as the control and tube #4 has the second highest amount of growth. Tube #1 had 1ml of a certain nutrient + 100μl of Sodium Phosphate and tube #4 had 25μl + 100μl of sodium phosphate. The nutrient Sodium Phosphate was added to the second set 100μl in each of the test tubes except for the control which is just plain Papago water which should have some nutrients in it. below are the tubes numbered 1-6 left to right.

When taking samples and putting it under the microscope I found that it was extremely difficult to identify all of the species so what I did was take picture with one of the microscope cameras which is somewhat better because I'm able to come back to the picture and see if my observations are the same as Matts. I did however see a pattern within the different sets mainly the one where tubes #1 and 4 had the most growth even though I expected #1 to have the most growth. Below are some of the many picture I took.




No comments:

Post a Comment